Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Cultural Orientation Trainer
Duty Station : Mae Sot, Thailand
Classification : General Service (G-5, THB 74,905.75 per month)
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed-Term Contract
Initial 12 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 November 2022
Reference Code : VN059/2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under overall supervision of the AUSCO Global Coordinator and the direct supervision of the AUSCO Project Officer in Thailand and the technical supervision of the AUSCO Global Office the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for carrying out Cultural Orientation courses in Thailand and other locations as required.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Participate in Australian Cultural Orientation (AUSCO) activities pertaining to scheduling, preparing and facilitation of training, and provision of childcare, as required.
- Undertake cultural orientation training activities for Australia bound refugees and humanitarian program entrants, featuring student-centred activities in all classes, assisting in drafting training lesson plans in accordance with AUSCO core-content and objectives, assisting in the development of teaching materials, visual aids and bulletin boards supporting the curriculum and assisting in managing and restocking inventories of instructional supplies.
- Undertake AUSCO scheduling activities for Thailand upon receipt of Operations/Australian Embassy advice in relation to beneficiary travel. Maintain and file class lists.
- Assist in overseeing cultural orientation childcare activities, including, if assigned, monitoring and guiding staff members providing childcare services, helping ensure childcare spaces are appropriate, adequate, and well-maintained, training childcare staff members to conduct basic cultural orientation activities designed for children and monitoring the work of childcare staff members.
- Uphold quality check (QC) measures, verify AUSCO statistics is updated as needed with AUSCO-related content, including scheduling data and case updates.
- Prepare and submit monthly program narrative and statistical reports on AUSCO activities to AUSCO Regional Coordinator regularly. Provide supervisors with relevant information as needed.
- In coordination with supervisors, liaise as needed with other teams. Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished within the team to supervisors and team members.
- Train other AUSCO team members once high competency levels have been achieved, and as needed, to effectively manage cultural orientation activities, update TEAMS and other databases accurately and to monitor and guide team members and activities.
- In order to develop and maintain AUSCO training-related skills, participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars and engage in self-directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending cultural orientation-related workshops and seminars.
- Undertake duty travel, if required, to participate in cultural orientation-related activities, e.g., training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the AUSCO, SOPs, Core Content as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all AUSCO-related information by implementing control procedures. Alert the AUSCO Regional Coordinator, Head of Office, and AUSCO Global Office of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by program management.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- School diploma with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree preferably Social Sciences/Education or related discipline from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Three year of living experience with teaching and/or training experiences in Australia or other Western country are an advantage.
- Experienced working with refugees is an advantage.
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural setting are an advantage.
- Must be able to travel across Thailand to facilitate training.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, and drive for results.
- Respect for diversity and creative thinking.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet.
- Attention to detail and ability to organize.
- Self-motivated and objective driven.
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Working knowledge of other languages especially spoken by beneficiaries from Myanmar.
- DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service- oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail email@example.com byNovember 28, 2022 at the latest.
Kindly indicate the reference code VN059/2022 followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include:
a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability;
b) a curriculum vitae;
c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form which can be downloaded from https://thailand.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1371/files/Vacancies/Form/iom-personal-history-form-270122.xls.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 15.11.2022 to 28.11.2022