Position Title: Associate Data Analyst (Portal)
Duty Station: Berlin, Germany
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of the Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) and direct supervision of the Sr. Knowledge Management Coordinator, and in collaboration with relevant units at GMDAC and the Global Data Institute (GDI), the Associate Data Analyst (Portal) will be responsible for carrying out preliminary data analyses to support the work of the Global Migration Data Portal (hereafter “the Portal”).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support team members by assisting with data cleaning from primary or secondary sources and maintaining specific portions of the Portal database.
- Research and analyze errors and inconsistencies in data and recommend timely resolutions.
- Assist in providing technical support for the maintenance and improvement of the Portal dashboard, including by performing regular tests on the front end and back end.
- Contribute to ongoing data analysis, summarizing and synthesizing migration data and information for new content on the Portal.
- Assist in translating data results into concise and meaningful information for a wide range of audiences, including for updates to the thematic, regional and spotlight pages on the Portal.
- Produce simple data visualizations of migration topics and trends for internal or external use.
- Contribute to the preparation of presentations using data and information from the Portal, as required.
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in data science, analytics, statistics, information management, public administration, policy or management, social sciences, economics, computer science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in applied analytics, information management, statistics, project management, stakeholder management or related area is required;
- Proven experience in data analysis and statistics (descriptive and inferential) required;
- Proven experience with statistical, database or programming languages (Stata and R or Python) required;
- Proven experience in quantitative research and writing required;
- Experience in Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) process an asset
- Experience working in a team and delivering outputs to agreed deadlines.
- Familiarity with working with Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) an asset.
- Knowledge of statistical, database or programming languages (Stata, R or Python) is required
- Excellent research, critical thinking and writing skills are required
- Foundational knowledge of migration data and analysis is desired
- Experience with relational database management systems, such as MySQL, an advantage
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS), such as Drupal, an advantage
- Familiarity with self-service analytics and data visualization applications (MS PowerBI or Tableau) an advantage
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in either Arabic, French, German, Russian, or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 19 Associate Data Analyst (Portal) (P1) Berlin, Germany (57944802) Released
Posting: Posting NC57944803 (57944803) Released