Position Title: Accountant
Job classification: General Staff
Duty station: Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST)
Salary: Php 42,000 per month net of taxes (All-inclusive Salary)
Under the general supervision of the National Central Accounting Officer and the direct supervision of the General Accounting Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Accrual on Education Grant
- Collect and validate the extracted relevant data from PRISM HR before accrual calculation.
- Calculate and post in PRISM the monthly accrual of education grant before closing of accounts based on the lowest amount between the maximum and calculated education grant (including lump sum board). Allocate the accrual based on the duration of school year and monthly projectization.
- Coordinate with the Manila Human Resources Operations (MHRO) for any necessary information on education grant and respond to offices’ queries related to accrual of education grant.
- Prepare entries to recognize education grant for payments made outside payroll.
- Prepare adjusting entries for WBS reallocation as requested by the offices.
- Perform monthly clearing activities on Staff Vendor Account in relation to education grant.
- Perform monthly clearing activities on suspense account taking into consideration the amount of final settlement, monthly accrual entries and other adjustments for over and under accrual, if any.
- Communicate to mission on the appropriate WBS to be used in case where WBS initially provided is no longer valid.
- Support during internal and external audit on the preparation of schedules related to education grant accrual and final settlement.
- Prepare monthly progress report for education grant.
- Maintain secure and organized filing system for education grant data.
- Perform self-control/risk assessment related to education grant and update the risk register as needed.
- Manage CAS – Education Grant mailbox.
- Ensure that the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and guidelines for Education Grant are updated.
- Provide training and assistance in Insurance Accounting to new staffs and interns.
- Review journal entries for the monthly insurance claims processed for all offices related to CP (Compensation Plan) claims and set-up the monthly receivables from the insurance provider.
- Prepare quarterly and year-end summary report of the total IOM insurance premium collection to be submitted to the Insurances & Provider Specialist in HQ.
- Review and reconcile related insurance projects and maintain schedule for proper monitoring. Ensure that any discrepancies are coordinated and adjusted.
- Prepare quarterly and year-end report of the IOM and staff member share on the insurance premium collected.
- Perform self-control/risk assessment related to insurance accounting and update the risk register as needed.
- Prepare monthly progress report on Insurance Accounting.
- Ensure that the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and guidelines for Insurance Accounting are updated.
- Manage CAS-Insurance Accounting mailbox
- Conduct mid-month and month-end bank reconciliations of HQ bank accounts to ensure that bank ledger balance agrees with bank balances. Coordinate reconciling items to Manila and Geneva Treasury and ensures validity of deposit in transits and outstanding disbursements reported for the month.
- Provide requested internal reports, and statistics which are within the scope of work responsibilities.
- Support during audits (internal and external) on preparation of schedules and help resolve queries on required information.
- Prepare the business specifications/requirements; and perform testing procedures during development stage for automation and enhancement of financial reports and procedures in PRISM in view of streamlining the business process related to functions and other accounting requirements.
- Making recommendations to ACO, Regional Accounting Support and / or Regional and Country Offices on both procedural and policy improvements and efficiencies in accounting and finance area with a view of strengthening internal controls to protect the Organization’s assets and reduce the risk of fraud and mismanagement.
- Provide training and assistance to new staffs and interns.
- Maintain secure and organized filing system specifically for confidential files.
- Perform other administrative and accounting functions as may be required.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or a relevant field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent.
- Relevant work experience in the field of accounting or finance; audit experience is an advantage;
- Experience in designing, reviewing and revising business processes to achieve efficiency.
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and/or SAP plus generally accepted accounting principles, business risk controls, and audit/review procedures
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications; knowledge of other IT packages and their implementation is an advantage;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by 30 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: https://careersph.iom.int/vacancies/dr-0012023-dr-0012023-accountant-ungraded-manila-global-administrative-centre-mac
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.