Human rights defenders (HRDs) in the OSCE region face challenges in conducting their human rights work safely and securely, in effectively advocating for and communicating about human rights and in taking full advantage of new technologies. To address these challenges, ODIHR is implementing a set of interventions to promote a safe and enabling environment for HRDs, including people working for National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and journalists, and to support them in conducting their work more effectively and securely.
More specifically, ODIHR has initiated the creation of a secure and dynamic online space to enable co-ordination and collaboration of HRDs on a global scale in the form of a portal and platform, called “FreedomLab”, which was launched in June 2021. The collaborative platform FreedomLab.io is used as the main tool for sharing information and providing support to HRDs.
In order to sustain a fully functioning website, ODIHR requires the services of an experienced consultant web developer who will provide maintenance support to the FreedomLab platform.
Duration of Special Service Agreement:
The Consultant is expected to work up to 20 working days during the period 15 April 2023 – 31 December 2023, with approximately 2 working days/month on average.
Objective of the assignment: The main objective of this consultancy is to provide maintenance support for the FreedomLab
Tasks and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Human Rights Adviser, the consultant will be responsible for: 1. Upgrades improvements, developments and overall maintenance of the platform (WordPress and Discourse): a) Upgrades: bug fixes, security patches, development modifications, design/theme modifications, performance enhancements; b) Undertaking rigorous and controlled testing of developments; c) Ensuring quality control after uploading new functionalities and other upgrades; 2. Advising on other necessary changes to advance the platform, and implement those, in agreement with ODIHR and within the framework of the current contract; 3. Monitoring and updating documentation related to website management.
In consultation with the ODIHR project team, the services are subject to change within the limits of the contract, based on needs. ODIHR will be the only owner of the deliverables and reserves the right to change them at a later stage. Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
● A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in website management/support/web development ● Hands-on practical experience working with different Content Management Systems (CMS), in particular WordPress website builder and related plugins such as Learndash; ● Strong knowledge of web development technologies, design tools, software, as well as other web programming languages and programs including use of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Java; ● Ability to adhere to deadlines; ● Ability to maintain sensitive confidential data; ● Familiarity with the work of intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations considered as an advantage; ● Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English;
Remuneration will be based on the selected consultant’s/expert’s qualifications, experience, the tasks and deliverables for this position and in accordance with the OSCE established rates.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration. Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization. Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model. Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights
- Requisition ID: ODI000032
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: ODI – Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), Warsaw
- Issue Date: Mar 6, 2023
- Closing Date: Mar 24, 2023
- Job Field: Human Rights
- Target Start Date: 15 April