Position Title: Reporting Officer (Regional Data Hub)
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) Regional Office for Asia–Pacific (ROAP) and its partners use, produce, and monitor migration-related data for planning, policy-making and operational purposes. The Asia–Pacific Regional Data Hub (RDH) aspires to reference a comprehensive set of such data, including information on migration trends, stocks and flows in the Asia-Pacific region. The RDH aims to support evidence-based strategic and policy level discussion on migration through a combined set of initiatives including strengthening of regional primary and secondary data collection and analysis; increasing Information Management (IM) capacity across countries; providing technical support to ensure harmonization and interoperability of key methodologies and tools used to monitor population mobility; and the engagement of key stakeholders and governmental counterparts in migration dialogue and consultation.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Officer and direct supervision of the Regional Migration Data Analysis and Research Officer, in coordination with the Relevant Units in ROAP, GDI and Headquarters (HQ) in Geneva, Switzerland, the Reporting Officer (Regional Data Hub) will be responsible to support RDH’s work on migration data research and analysis, DTM and coordination with ROAP MCU.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the regional, sub-regional, geographic and thematic analyses and reports on issues of relevance to the current mixed migration dynamics in the region.
- Support desk review and carry out extensive and in-depth data analysis of data sources identified under the desk review.
- Assist in aspects of regional DTM support operations and initiatives, and facilitate the preparation of level information products.
- Coordinate with MCU for aspects relating to RDH communication and social media.
- Support the RDH to consolidate all relevant IOM and non-IOM data into one internal database, to help IOM and its partners to produce structured and regular data- reports and information products that outline regional human mobility data and related trends. Ensure the effective use of the designated information systems, including offline and online platforms, application tools, and other systems to manage the implementation of the information management mechanism.
- Participate in regional forums on migration and mobility when requested to support improved coordination on data and evidence for policy and guidance at the regional level. When requested, work with the RDH team to develop tailored data and evidence analysis on specific issues to support IOM and its partners’ policy analysis objectives.
- Support the development of RDH project proposal, concept notes and donor reports, and required information products, including, but not limited to, progress reports, analytical and statistical reports, newsletters, papers and other publications that RDH is involved in.
- Ensure the timely preparation and generation of regional, sub-regional and national level information products, as well as support information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
- Represent IOM in different platform working group and provide strategic inputs towards the agreed results.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Migration Studies, Demography, Political or Social Science, Statistics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in information management, reporting, coordination and analysis of data triangulation and analysis from multiple large and complex information systems;
- Research experience (including field experience) in the area of demographic and population studies, human mobility, internal and international mixed migration, and refugees/IDPs in developed and developing countries;
- Experience in internal and/or international mixed migration data analyses is required;
- Experience in data collection, database merging, data processing (incl. cleaning) data analysis for research, policy and report writing;
- Professional experience in coordinating multi-cultural teams and field-based staff;
- Practical field experience and understanding in domains related to relief interventions and humanitarian action (including support to displaced populations and implementation of emergency and early recovery activities), UN, and the cluster system is an advantage and;
- Experience in survey and questionnaire design and probabilistic sampling is an advantage.
- Familiarity with computer programs, including MS Office suite.
- Advanced English writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge regarding quantitative and qualitative statistical data analysis in areas of social science, internal and/or international mixed migration and human mobility.
- Knowledge of one or more data analysis and visualization software (e.g. PowerBI, GIS ARC, Stata, SPSS, R, Tableau).
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2023 09 Reporting Officer (Regional Data Hub) (UG) Bangkok, Thailand (57973265) Released
Posting: Posting NC57973266 (57973266) Released