United Nations University (UNU)
UNU is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
UNU-FLORES is one of 13 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system. UNU-FLORES develops strategies to resolve pressing issues in the sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources such as water, soil, waste, energy, and other geo-resources that concern the United Nations and its Member States – particularly in developing and emerging economies. Based in Dresden, Germany, the Institute engages in research, capacity development, postgraduate teaching, advanced training, and knowledge dissemination to advance the Resource Nexus. For more information, please visit https://flores.unu.edu/
Under the overall authority of the Director and under the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer, working in close collaboration with UNU Human Resources Office (HR-KL) to resolve complex HR-related issues and information exchange, the HR Associate is responsible for the full HR life cycle for UNU-FLORES personnel. The incumbent shall be responsible for the following: 1. Manages and provides HR Administrative Services within UNU-FLORES
- Initiates, organises, manages, and oversees the recruitment, contract extension and separation processes;
- Prepare draft job descriptions and vacancy announcements, compile matrixes, and manage the interview process;
- Monitors the integrity of processes and ensures fairness and transparency, yet maintains confidentiality where needed, in all processes and understands the connection between HR and financial management;
- Drives and initiates recruitment outreach activities to improve the quality of candidates and their diversity; Contributes to positive candidate experience through timely and appropriate communications; and
- Manage the HR onboarding process.
2. Provides support for the administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, and adapts processes and procedures:
- Monitor compliance with UNU Personnel Policy, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, and UNU HR policies and procedures; ensure effective implementation of said policies and procedures;
- Provides advice, support and recommendations to management and personnel on HR regulations, rules, policies, procedures, and entitlements;
- Conduct research on a range of HR-related issues and prepare recommendations and reports as required; and
- Acts as the knowledge leader for all personnel areas, overseeing all other contracts and agreements issued by UNU-FLORES, e.g., undertakings and student contracts.
3. Coordinates personnel performance management, supports, personal and professional development and builds upon FLORES culture:
- Provides staff and management training and advice on the performance management process and monitors Institute-wide compliance;
- Develops, organises, and provides training/briefing sessions on HR-related topics, and promotes staff development;
- Acts as HR leave focal point, oversees absence management, and provides attendance-related reports;
- Participate in training the operations/projects staff on HR issues and all relevant matters;
- Monitors completion of mandatory training; and
- Maintains HR information and knowledge products on SharePoint.
4. Provides support in a variety of HR Services:
- Acts as a cultural ambassador, promoting and nurturing the FLORES culture within the Institute, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment;
- Facilitates employee engagement initiatives, such as organising team-building activities, recognition programs, and wellness initiatives, to foster a positive and supportive work culture;
- Develops diversity and inclusion efforts by implementing strategies to attract, retain, and promote a diverse workforce, and ensuring equitable treatment and opportunities for all personnel;
- Manages employee relations matters, including conducting investigations, resolving conflicts, and providing guidance on disciplinary procedures and grievance handling, promoting the UN Values and Behaviours framework;
- Supports HR data management, including maintaining accurate employee records, generating reports, and analysing HR metrics to identify trends and areas for improvement;
- Acts as the Institute’s Internship Focal Point and administers the programme according to the prevailing rules and procedures of UNU;
- Supports with developing and implementing HR communication strategies, ensuring effective communication of HR policies, initiatives, and changes to personnel; and
- Contributes as a member of various task forces, collaborating with cross-functional teams on HR-related projects and initiatives to drive organisational success.
5. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or Director.
Key Performance Indicators
- Contribution to the positive reputation of UNU-FLORES as a reliable and trustworthy partner among research partners, governments, donors, and civil society
- Timely, complete, and accurate human resources transactions/activities/documentation
- Timely and quality delivery of recruitment strategies
- Quality and timely, and accurate advice on UNU HR policies and processes
- Inclusion – Take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity.
- Integrity – Act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards.
- Humility – Demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others.
- Humanity – Act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet.
- Connect and Collaborate – Build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and Plan – Seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver Results with Positive Impact – Hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and Develop – Pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and Innovate – Demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources management, Law, Business or Public Administration, Social Sciences, Education, or a related field. A master’s degree or equivalent would be highly advantageous.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, preferably in an international organisation. A Master’s degree with three years of progressively responsible experience in human resources would be acceptable;
- Demonstrated ability to cover all areas of human resources, from recruitment and onboarding to performance management, training, and career development through to leave monitoring and separation;
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (preferably Oracle) would be an asset.
- Experience in implementation and drafting of complex HR processes coupled with the ability to understand HR service needs; Experience in an academic setting would be highly advantageous;
- Experience in drafting complex reports, communications, and presentations is required;
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc);
- Experience in drafting job descriptions/vacancy announcements, communications, and presentations is required;
- Experience with recruitment and selection, human resources, business administration, or a related field is mandatory; experience with academic recruitment is highly desirable;
- Possesses advanced knowledge of organisational policy and procedures relating to HR, and the ability to apply them consistently would be highly advantageous;
- Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information;
- Strong planning, organisation, and time management skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently;
- Must be flexible with the ability to establish priorities and work within prescribed timeframes;
- An excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Fluency in English is required; Fluency in German would be an asset; and
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
UNU offers an attractive, tax-exempt compensation package including an annual net salary at the GS-5 level (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), 30 days of annual leave, dependency benefits, a pension plan and a health insurance scheme. For more information please see: https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=SAL
Duration of contract
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance.
For academic positions, the combined duration of fixed-term appointments with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
as soon as possible
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please do not use similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position. You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: 18 September 2023
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks, and references.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the Rector’s authority. They may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University. The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.